Sunday, October 28, 2007

Star Wars in 33 words


My wife, Vicki, is frighteningly accomplished. She earned two master's degrees, one in criminal justice and one in anthropology, in the time it took me to get one. Then she finished her Ph.D. at UC Santa Cruz in five years despite the complications of a failed procedure to fix her heart arrhythmia, as well as pregnancy, gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, premature C-section, new parenthood, and breastfeeding for 8 months. Then, while I was taking a sixth year to finish my Ph.D., she was on a UC President's postdoc at Berkeley, which she parlayed into a tenure-track position at UC Merced by the time I graduated.

But she just doesn't care very much about Star Wars.

(Actually, the time and brainpower I've put into Star Wars and similar wonky pursuits might be enough to explain the differences in our academic timelines. But I digress.)

One time we were engaging in some friendly sniping on the subject of our relative pop culture knowledge and I said something like, "Oh, please. You don't even know what Star Wars is about." And she shot back with this tidy summary of the OORT*.

"There are people living in space, and there's the Good and the Bad, and they fight, and the Bad turns out to be the dad of the Good, and they fight some more."

* Original and Only Real Trilogy

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Glen said...

I have to ask - where did that band pic come from and who is the artist?

6:22 AM  
Blogger Dr. Vector said...

Aaargh--I wish I knew! I've had it forwarded to me more than once, and in more than one version, over the past couple of years, but I don't know who painted it or where it came from. If anyone out there does know, please let me know; at a minimum I would credit the artist for producing what is, conservatively, the greatest painting in human history.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home