Sunday, February 18, 2007

Well, it's about damn time


So. Planet Earth is finally be shown over here, on the Discovery Channel, successive Sundays from March 25-April 22 (episode guide and photos here). Which is good.

It's being shown out of order. Dunno how bad that is. I know in some of his earlier series, Attenborough capped each episode with a short, tantalizing segue to the next. I really liked those, for the same reason I like Darren's lists of upcoming blog subjects. At least some of those earlier series were scrambled when they were released on video and DVD, and the segues were chopped. I honestly can't imagine why anyone thought that was a good idea, ever. At this point, if David Attenborough wants to go through the natural world in a particular order, I'm inclined to follow his lead.


Finally, the American DVD (to be released on April 24, right after the end of the TV run) will feature Attenborough's narration, but the broadcast will not (details here). It's been redubbed with Sigourney Weaver. Now, don't get me wrong, I like Ripley plenty. But this is David Freaking Attenborough, know what I'm sayin'? His infinitely calm, omniscient delivery is a significant part of the appeal. I'm pretty upset about the redub. They better not have dumbed it down, those bastards.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I could listen to Attenborough describe the consistency of the eggs he had for breakfast. Thanks for giving us the heads-up on this!

12:10 PM  
Blogger indigoGlyph said...

You won't be disappointed. There are more clips at http://www.bbc.co.uk/. Look out for snow leopards, balletic super-slow-motion sequences of crocodile attacks, fast-motion penguin shuffling, and some fabulously odd underground ecosystems . But what did they think they were doing, replacing Attenborough's narration? How odd.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home