Monday, April 27, 2009

The ratite clearing house post


Darren's post on my emu dissection pictures inspired me to bring all of my ratite blogging together in one place, for the convenience and edification of all.


There's the original emu dissection post and and the immediately subsequent rhea dissection posts (two links). Note the striking difference between the comparatively large, normally-folding wings of the smaller rhea (below) and the silly twig-wings of the much larger emu (above).


Emus use their inflatable throat pouches to make booming calls. I was fortunate enough to witness this and engage in a bout of reciprocal burping with an emu at the Merced zoo, which I covered here.


Later on I posted briefly about kiwis. Also, people loved the gross photos enough that I felt compelled to share pix from dissecting a hyena, which is not a ratite but also flightless and still pretty cool.


Finally, I bought together my biological and then-nascent astronomical obsessions and turned some of the emu gore into a planet.

If you find anything dead, or get to cut something up, or have some other cool interaction with the natural world, post it and tell the world!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Historian said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Historian said...

Ooooh! Feather tracts on the forearms... good reference material for theropod illustration, methinks...

You blew it up hard!

Also I *LOVE* the pics of the skinned hyena face. She is beguilingly creepy. And her canassials!! deluxe!!

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home