Thursday, November 15, 2007

Hail Xenoposeidon!


I reckon the readership overlap between this blog and SV-POW! is near-total, but just in case some of you haven't seen it yet, my oft-mentioned homeboys Mike Taylor (right) and Darren Naish (left) have described a new sauropod dinosaur, Xenoposeidon. Xeno, of course, is Greek for "strange" or "alien", and "poseidon" means "based on very few vertebrae".


Here's Mike getting some quality time with the holotype and only known specimen of Xenoposeidon. Emotive hearts added by his junior author, oddly enough.

How strange is this thing (Xenoposeidon, that is, not Mike, Darren, or the hearts)? You'll be finding out all week at SV-POW, but if I had to sum it up in a soundbite I'd say it's officially Damn Weird.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie Brakora said...

I got a text message late one night from a number I didn't recognize. It said: "Help! We're playing games on a road trip. I need the name of an animal that starts with X!"

Turns out this was the day I found out about Xenoposeidon. Had a whole extended conversation in lab about it.

I couldn't make this up if I tried.

So I did the only thing I could do. I texted back: "Xenoposeidon, a new dinosaur." (Sorry, auto-complete didn't recognize the name ... yet.)

I got a text back: "You fuckin' rock!!"

I felt good about that, but having searched my entire phonebook and looked up the area code online, I couldn't for the life of me figure out who the texter could be. My one friend with that area code would never use the word fuckin', and my brother (with a penchant for both profanity and alphabetical road trip games) had no business with an Atlanta phone number. Plus he has denied the incident twice, and he's not a good liar on things like this.

Turns out my Atlanta friend has diversified his vocabulary - by at least two words.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home