Monday, June 04, 2007

WAR!!

Things to do, things to do. Been meaning forever to blog about my best recent discoveries in science fiction: Sean McMullen's Souls in the Great Machine and sequels, Alistair Reynolds's Revelation Space and sequels, and probably the best of them all, Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies, which started great and get better with each book.

But I haven't, and I don't have time right now, so I'll just post a little snippet from Reynolds's Redemption Ark:

The flashes were mostly dying ships. Now and then one would be the triggering pulse of a Demarchist railgun--cumbersome, thousand-kilometer-long linear accelerator barrels. They had to be energised by detonating a string of cobalt-fusion bombs. The blast would rip the railgun to atoms, but not before it had accelerated a tank-sized slug of stabilised metallic hydrogen up to seventy percent of light-speed, surfing just ahead of the annihilation wave.

Woo-haa! Eat that, Vader.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike Taylor said...

Yeah, big rail guns are cool. It's just a shame Reynolds can't write worth a damn.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Dr. Vector said...

You mean it's a shame you can't read worth a damn!

12:23 AM  
Blogger Dr. Vector said...

BTW, that's probably the most retarded comeback I've ever used in my life, and it's totally cracking me up. He he, the joys of midnight blogging.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Mike Taylor said...

I am glad you appreciate and enjoy your own transcendent lameness. Remember it was at your bidding that I read (and paid good money for!) Chasm City, a novel that turned out to have been written by the bastard love-child of Asimov and Alistair MacLean. I shall not swiftly forgive you for that.

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh yeah, Chasm City sucked rocks.

Altered Carbon was great. Or at least the first 3/4 of it was. I left it in an airport! But I'd buy it again. Especially now that I know there are sequels.

But I have to return to Chasm City sucking. Because it did.


Doug M.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home