Monday, June 04, 2007

Movie hell

There is a lot that I will not miss about living on the overpopulated coast. A lot. I could go on at length, but a good chunk of my readership still lives there and it would be impolite.

But one thing I will miss is getting to see pretty much whatever movie I wanted. In Santa Cruz the Cinema 9 and the Riverfront Twin carried mainstream stuff, and the Nickelodeon and the Del Mar carried indies, Sundance fare, and other artsy stuff. Between them the Nick and the Del Mar have eight screens, I think, so I had access to 19 movie screens that were almost always showing 19 different movies.

And all 19 screens were within a ten-minute walk from my front door. It was heaven, I tells ya.

I didn't see as many movies in Berkeley, and I had to travel farther to see them, but still, if it was in release here in the U.S., I at least had the option.

Alas, I am now back in the Real World. This has certain perks--I can get around town without swearing immoderately at all the retards walking, biking, and driving (if you can call it that) in my way, and a pound of bacon can be had for less than four bucks, and there's an immense patch of real grass out the back door that is mine all mine with a fence and a shaded porch and everything--BUT a wide selection of cinematic adventures is not one of them.

To wit. The movie theater on Main Street has 12 screens. Currently they are showing Pirates of the Caribbean 3 on FIVE screens and Spiderman 3 on FOUR screens, and some b.s. on the other three.

Which is AWESOME if you want to go to the movie theater without checking showtimes and be guaranteed to have a show starting within ten minutes of your arrival.

As long as you want to see Pirates 3 or Spidey 3.

If you'd like to see Oscar bait, or documentaries, or stuff like Mirrormask or Pan's Labyrinth (their current equivalents, I mean), you're hosed.






Also, I notice that I am out of napkins.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike Taylor said...

Ah, haha, two solid LLOLs in the last two lines. Good hit-rate -- but will anyone but me have any idea what you're talking about?

Taylor's rule of movie quality: when a film has the number "3" in its title, it's not a good sign.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Dr. Vector said...

Ah, haha, two solid LLOLs in the last two lines. Good hit-rate -- but will anyone but me have any idea what you're talking about?

Who cares? I'll take the laughs wherever I can get them. Your retarded views on Alistair Reynolds notwithstanding, you're the best friend I've got in this crazy world.

To all the rest of you who thought you were my best friends: haha, suckers! You know who you are, and you're second, third, and fifth best, respectively. Sorry.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Duff Stone said...

meh, Friends are friends, no reason to nit-pick it to death....

but I have a real question, What the hell ARE you talking about? the difference between Berkely and Santa Cruz or are you now living somewhere else I've not heard of???

I can't imagine it being hard to find a good indie film in either location to be honest.

-Duff

8:04 PM  
Blogger Mike Taylor said...

Ha! Eat it, Matt's other friends! I rule!

(I think this may be the most immature comment I have ever posted on a blog entry.)

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I can understand, having lived in a very small town before. Even Hollywood video has Mirrormask and Pan's Labyrinth, but if none near you my buddy says netflix is excellent, and you don't have to wait in line.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home