Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The land of the free

On the right you'll see a list of links to open-access biology and paleontology resources. They are centered around things I care about, such as phylogeny, vertebrate morphology and evolution, and paleobiology. If you know of other things in that vein that are not listed here but should be, please leave a comment and let me know. If you have papers in relevant subject areas posted somewhere on the web where they are free to all comers and you'd like to be included in my link list, please leave a comment and let me know. I reserve the right to not include stuff that I don't find personally compelling. Polychaetes are pretty sweet animals, but they don't make the cut. HOWEVER, if you don't make it onto the sidebar I will at least paste your link into the body of this post, and I'll put a link to this post on the sidebar, so you'll get at least a little exposure from my blog and your effort in writing me will not be in vain.

If, on the other hand, I linked to you and you'd rather I didn't (perhaps because of the scattershot nature of the blog, or my propensity for using the F word), leave a comment and I will de-link you.

And if you have published papers but you don't have a website of your own where you can post them for the edification of all, consider getting one. Mike Taylor runs my page (in exchange for the promise of sushi at our next meeting), and it is hugely useful to be able to give people one URL where they can get PDFs of all of my papers. Also, if you've never done a big reprint mailing, consider taking a week and sending reprints to everyone you know--or know of--who you think might be interested. Old folks who have been giants in the field for decades still appreciate getting free reprints from noobs like you. I did a big mailing with reprints of my first two papers a few years ago, and since then I've passed out copies of each year's productions at my society's annual meeting. Now I've got all the PDFs online. Each step has earned me citations that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Go thou and do likewise.

UPDATE: The indefatigable Jerry Harris sent me approximately a fudillion links to add. I will get them up soon. Stay tuned, true believers.

UPDATE: It's January 17 and I still don't have Jerry's links up, but I am making progress. Check it out on the sidebar.

FINAL UPDATE: It's all in place now. Go to sidebar. Live free or die.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike Taylor said...

Oh, hey, great! I'd forgotten all about the sushi :-)

... and, Dude. Putting my pubs on the same sidebar as Randy's just makes me look bad :-)

1:52 PM  
Blogger Dr. Vector said...

Putting my pubs on the same sidebar as Randy's just makes me look bad.

I know. But if I can take it, you can too. Stiff upper lip and all that.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe, but Matt still has us all beat in terms of citations and impact.

-Randy

3:45 PM  
Blogger Dr. Vector said...

An artifact of history, I am certain.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home